LORD BUDDHA – The Quest
BUDDHA TEMPLE DEHRADUN – Buddha teaches that we live in a fog of delusions created by our mistaken perceptions. Our impurities like hate, greed, and ignorance stray us away from the path of truth. A buddha is the one who is freed from this fog. It is believed that when a buddha dies he is not reborn but rather passes into the state of Nirvana. Nirvana is not a “heaven” but a transformed state of our existence.
Buddha took birth in a royal house in Lumbini, Nepal, around 567 BCE. They named him Siddharth Gautam. During his well-protected years in the kingdom, he came across a sick person, an old man, a corpse, and a saint. All this affected him deeply and he embarked on a journey to find out solutions to his questions.
Eventually, after experiencing all sorts of extreme penance practices, Buddha realized enlightenment. He preached that path to peace is from the middle of all extremities. The true nature of reality is experienced when we remain balanced with our emotions. Buddha claimed to be an ordinary person and rejected all the myths about god and the soul. He attributed his enlightenment to human endeavor. According to him, all humans have the potential to achieve that state where one becomes a Buddha.
Buddha Temple Dehradun
The temple nestles in the foothills of the gigantic Himalayas. It is regarded as one of the largest Buddhist centers in the subcontinent. Built in 1965 by his excellency Kochen Rinpoche and a few other monks. It is a close replica of the original temple monastery situated in Tibet. The temple is famous for its extravagant structure. This temple was built with the objective to protect the cultural and religious heritage of Buddhism. Known by various names such as Buddha temple, Buddha garden, or Mindrolling monastery, this structure has become one of the most visited places in the city of Dehradun, Uttarakhand. It is located in Clement Town and witnesses tourists from all across the globe. Additionally, the followers of Buddhism are drawn to this monastery throughout the year.
The Architecture – Buddha Temple Dehradun
The temple is popular for its splendid architecture and pleasing interiors. It is built in the Japanese architectural style. The deep-colored murals on the walls depict the compassionate life of Buddha. Stories from his birth till his nirvana are beautifully crafted on the walls here. The Great Stupa here draws most of the attention of the visitors. This Stupa was inaugurated in 2002. The artwork of the Stupa represents the zenith of Buddhist art. It is as high as 220 feet and as wide as 100 sq. feet.
One can feel the energy and aura of the Buddhist culture here. It is believed that 50 odd artists made the extraordinary design of the temple. This took them about 3 years to complete the structure. The five floors in the temple enshrine the idols of Buddha and Guru Padmasambhava. The first three floors have intricate golden-colored wall paintings. The fourth floor showcases an open platform where one can enjoy the panoramic view of the Doon valley.
It was built with the motive to maintain and promote Tibetan culture in India. The temple has its guest houses, a community prayer hall, its own healthcare clinic set up, and a primary and secondary Buddhist school. The idea was to create four Buddha temple schools to share the teachings of the Tibetan religion in a more organized manner. Four temple complexes namely Nyigima (Dehradun Budhha temple), Sakya, Kagya, and Geluk were built.
THINGS TO DO – Buddha Temple Dehradun
- This temple is a place to unwind in peace and serenity. One can pay his respects to the 130 feet tall statue of the Buddha. The statue is installed at the temple complex. It is built in the honor of the Dalai Lama.
- To enjoy the bird’s eye view of the city, this is the apt place.
- Quite a few small cafes and shops are adjacent to the temple complex. One can devour some delicious Tibetan cuisine.
- Another attraction is the fancy clothes stores situated here.
- The avid reader in you can handpick a few spiritual and other Tibetan culture books that are available at the bookstores here.
- The scenic beauty of the temple and the areas around our favorite spots that every photographer keeps looking for.
- The Vloggers – travelers can easily find worthy content worth shooting here.
REMEMBER WHILE VISITING – Buddha Temple Dehradun
- The admirers of art and culture are advised to visit the temple on Sundays. Normally the garden area and rest of the premises remain open on all days. The interior of the temple is only open on Sundays, please remember.
- Remember to remove your shoes at the entrance of the temple. The shoe check facility can be availed at nominal rates.
- Visiting a holy place requires the maintenance of peace. The Lamas and Buddhist disciples look forward to privacy for their prayers and meditation.
- The sparingly placed dustbins are meant to be used carefully. Please keep the premises trash free.
LOCATION – Buddha Temple Dehradun
Buddha Temple is in Mohabewala, Clement Town in Dehradun, and Uttarakhand. It is situated at a distance of 5 km from ISBT Dehradun. This makes it quite feasible to visit.
HOW TO REACH – Buddha Temple Dehradun
The temple is highly feasible to reach –
- Bus service to Clement Town is available from Rajpur and Parade Ground
- There is also an option to take Vikram no. 5 from Survey Chowk
- Railway connectivity – Dehradun railway station at a distance of 10 km
- Air Connectivity – Jolly Grant airport is at a distance of 36 km
OVERVIEW – Buddha Temple Dehradun
|Timings||8 AM to 7 PM|
|Highlights||Stupa, School, Prayer Hall|
|Distance from ISBT Dehradun||5 km / 20 Mins|
VISITING HOURS – Buddha Temple Dehradun
|Season||Morning Timings||After Noon Timings||Evening Timings|
|Summer||8:00 am – 12:00 noon||12:00 Noon – 2:00 pm
(Lunch Break, the area is open but the Shrine Rooms remain closed)
|2:00 pm – 7:00 pm|
|Winter||8:00 am – 12:00 noon||12:00 Noon – 2:30 pm
(Lunch Break, the area is open but the Shrine Rooms remain closed)
|2:30 pm – 7:00 pm|
To Book Rajaji National Park Stay Or Jeep Safari
Direct WhatsApp Contact – https://bit.ly/3wPUC9p
Or Call Directly at 9760385133
Also, Read – All Tourist Spots in Dehradun
Read our other Articles – Homestay in Dehradun
Please Subscribe to Our YouTube Channel Subhash Chaudhary Vlogs
Anu is an independent writer, with a curious mind and a content soul. She believes that everything is just a colourful and colourless motif on the ever-expanding fabric of the universe. She hopes that one day magic will blossom and the whole of humanity will bow in sync to acknowledge life. And there will be a rainbow in our eyes as we sit barefoot to see life as it is. May we have peace.